Information We Collect
When you register with our Site to request a quote, to confirm a sale, or to access our customer service portal, we typically collect information that you voluntarily provide that personally identifies you or others (“Personal Data”) such as your name, business address, email address and any other information you provide to us. Additionally, when you visit our Site to obtain information about us or our products and services, we automatically collect information, such as that listed in the Cookies and Automatic Data Collection Technologies section, below.
Personal Data includes the following:
- From employment applicants, we or our service provider will collect contact and identification information, such as name, address, telephone number, email address, date and place of birth, and driver's license number and prior employment and income information, resumes and curriculum vitae, and other personal information that may be relevant to the position you have applied for;
- From our customers, we or our service provider will collect your contact information in connection with the products and services you purchase on behalf of your business, the credit and financial information account information you supply in connection with any such purchase, and billing and credit history or payment history for such accounts; and
- Customer relationship information, such as customer service requests.
Cookies and Automatic Data Collection Technologies: Whenever you use a website, mobile application, or other internet service, certain information is created and retained by the website or application. This happens with our Site as well. We collect technical information when you use our Site, or information that has been made anonymous, such as:
- Log data: Our servers automatically record information when you use our Site, such as your IP address, the type of browser you are using and its settings, the third party website you visited immediately prior to accessing our Site, the operating system you are using, the domain name of your Internet Service Provider, the search terms you use on our Site, the specific Site pages you visit, type of product selected, the brand, order, and product identifications, and the duration of your visits.
- Cookie data: Like many websites, we use “cookies” to obtain certain types of information when your web browser accesses our Site. "Cookies" are small text files that we transfer to your computer's hard drive or your Web browser memory to enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide convenience and other features to you, such as recognizing you as a frequent user of our Site. Some of the cookies we use are associated with your account with us (including Personal Data about you) if you have one, and other cookies are not. We may use “session cookies” (cookies that last until you close your browser) or “persistent cookies” (cookies that last until you or your browser delete them). Examples of the information we collect and analyze from cookies include your activity on our Site, including the URL you come from and go to next (whether this URL is on our Site or not).
- We may also collect information pertinent to the marketing of our products and services. This information may include marketing channels, User Market IDs (Centerpoint, TNMP, etc.), Site brands and product names, contract terms, financial information and other information.
How We Use Information We Collect
AK Steel uses Personal Data it collects to allow us to evaluate your employment application, to provide the products and services you have chosen for your business, or to manage and develop our business and operations, including:
- Establishing, managing and terminating business relations with you;
- Reviewing the products and services that we provide to you;
- Allowing you to access information about the products and services you have purchased from us;
- Informing you of our products and services other than those that you have specifically requested;
- Informing you of products and services carefully selected third parties may wish to offer you;
- Responding to your comments or requests for information;
- Protecting us against error, fraud, theft, and damage to our goods and property;
- Fulfill the purposes for which you provided the Personal Data or that we told you about when we collected it;
- Enabling us to comply with applicable law or regulatory requirements; and
- Any other reasonable business purpose to which you consent.
We may use non-personal information for any purpose.
Email Communications: If you send us an email with questions or comments, we may use your email address to respond to your questions or comments, and we may save your questions or comments for future reference. We may email you when:
- You have applied for employment with us;
- You request information about our company;
- It relates to purchases you have made from us (e.g., product updates, customer support, etc.);
- We are sending you information about our other products and services; or
- You consented to being contacted by email for a particular purpose.
Automatic Data Collection: We use your Personal Data collected through automatic data technologies in a variety of ways, including to help analyze Site traffic, understand customer needs and trends, carry out targeted promotional activities, and to improve our products and services.
Do Not Track Disclosures: Certain browsers may offer you the option of providing notice to websites that you do not wish for your online activities to be tracked for preference-based advertising purposes (“DNT Notice”). Some browsers are, by default, set to provide a DNT Notice, whether or not that reflects your preference. Providing DNT Notice is often touted as a means to ensure that cookies, web beacons and similar technology are not used for preference-based advertising purposes – that is, to restrict the collection of information of your online activities for advertising purposes. Unfortunately, given how preference-based advertising works, DNT Notices may not effectively accomplish this goal. For this and a variety of other reasons, with respect to our Site, we do not take any particular action based on browser based DNT Notices. However, we do not use third-party advertisers or engage in behavioral marketing data collection for resale. Rather, if you do not wish to participate in preference-based advertising activities, you should follow the simple opt-out process below.
Opting Out: If you do not wish to participate in preference based advertising via these third party advertising networks, go to and/or , and follow the simple opt-out process. A couple of important notes about these opt-out tools: (1) they include all the advertising networks that we may work with, but also many that we do not work with; and (2) they may rely on cookies to ensure that a given advertising network does not collect information about you (“Opt-out Cookies”). Therefore, if you use or buy new computer equipment, change web browser or delete these Opt-out Cookies, you may need to perform the opt-out task again.
Disclosure of Your Information:
Social Sharing: Our Site may offer social sharing features or other integrated tools, which let you share actions you take on our Site with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the third party that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the third parties that provide these features.
Email Communications: We may share your email contact information with our partners to assist with marketing our products and services. You may unsubscribe from receiving future commercial email communications from us by clicking the “unsubscribe” link included at the bottom of any marketing emails we send, or by emailing us as provide in the “Contact Us” section below. However, we reserve the right to send you transactional emails such as customer service communications in connection with the products you have purchased. For security reasons, we do not recommend that you send Personal Data, such as passwords, social security numbers, or bank account information, to us by email.
Transfer of Assets: We do not sell or lease Personal Data or provide a list of our customers to third parties. However, as we continue to develop our business, we may sell or purchase assets. If another entity acquires us or all (or substantially all) of our assets, the Personal Data we have about you will be transferred to and used by this acquiring entity. Also, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, all such information may be considered an asset of ours and as such may be sold or transferred to third parties.
Legal Necessity: Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, we reserve the right to disclose any Personal Data about you if we are required to do so by law, with respect to copyright and other intellectual property infringement claims, or if we believe that such action is necessary to (a) fulfill a government request, (b) conform with the requirements of the law or legal process, (c) protect or defend our legal rights or property, or our Site; or (d) in an emergency to protect the health and safety of our Site’s users or the general public.
Your Choices About Your Information
Your California Privacy Rights
We collect certain employment-related Personal Data about California-residents who are employees, job applicants, contractors or other similar individuals. Our California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) notice for these persons is available here. The CCPA currently exempts Personal Data reflecting a written or verbal business to business communication (“B2B personal information”) from its requirements. If this changes, AK Steel will update its California privacy notice at that time. Other than with respect employment-related Personal Data and certain B2B personal information, we do not collect Personal Data from or about California consumers.
Safeguarding Personal Data
AK Steel will endeavor to safeguard Personal Data using methods that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. We have implemented security measures we consider reasonable and appropriate to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the Personal Data under our control. However, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online and are not responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your Personal Data.
Privacy of Children’s Information
Our Site is not directed to children. We do not sell products or services for purchase by children. We will not knowingly collect Personal Data from children. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13 and believe he or she has disclosed Personal Data to us, please contact us at the email address below. A parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13 may review and request deletion of such child's Personal Data as well as prohibit the use of that information.
This Policy does not apply to your use of unaffiliated websites to which our Site is linked. AK Steel is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content on linked sites. We recommend that you carefully read the privacy policies of each site you visit.