Steel Production in Rockport, IN
Rockport Works is located on the Ohio River in southwest Indiana, about an hour's drive east of Evansville. Our carbon and stainless steel finishing operations are housed in more than 1.75 million square feet of manufacturing space. Utilizing innovative manufacturing technologies, the plant incorporates Automated Guidance Vehicles (AGVs) and automated cranes to move the steel through the various finishing operations.
- Carbon and stainless continuous pickling line
- Stainless continuous annealing and pickling line
- Carbon and stainless continuous cold mill
- Continuous hot dip galvanizing and galvannealing line
- Hydrogen annealing and temper rolling facilities
Steels from Rockport Works include a full range of cold rolled carbon, coated and stainless steels in either the annealed and pickled or temper rolled surface condition. Product offerings include a wide variety of Advanced High Strength Steels (AHSS).
Among Rockport's products are:
- Carbon and Stainless Cold Rolled steels produced on the only cold mill in the world designed to tandem roll austenitic and ferritic grades of stainless steel, as well as carbon steel.
- Hot Dip Galvanized ZINCGRIP® products provide a tight metallurgical bond between the coating and substrate, offering the strength and formability of steel plus the corrosion protection of zinc.
- Enameling Steels (VIT-PLUS® and I-F Enameling Steel) provide characteristics including formability, surface ﬁnish and gauge and flat-ness tolerances for enameling.
- Hot Dip Galvannealed ZINCGRIP GA steel products are continuously coated on both sides with zinc, then induction heated to alloy the zinc with the substrate, creating a zinc-iron coating.
The Rockport hot dip galvanizing and galvannealing line incorporates revolutionary proprietary technologies, including induction transition heating which provides rapid, accurate annealing temperature control. In addition, the Rockport Works line produces sheet steel at 80".
Rockport Works has earned IATF 16949, ISO-9001 and Ford Q1 certification. The plant is also a recipient of several customer quality awards, including GM's Supplier of the Year Award and Toyota's Superior Quality and Delivery Award.