Steel Production in Detroit, MI
- Blast furnace
- Basic oxygen furnaces
- Ladle metallurgy furnaces
- RH vacuum degasser
- Slab casters
- Hot strip mill
- Pickling line tandem cold mill
- Batch annealing shops
- Temper mill
- Hot Dipped galvanizing line
Carbon steels from Dearborn Works include:
- Hot and Cold Rolled carbon steels that provide excellent press formability, surface finish, flatness and thickness tolerances and meet the strictest chemistry requirements in the market today.
- Hot Dip Galvanized ZINCGRIP® products provide a tight metallurgical bond between the coating and substrate, offering the strength and formability of steel plus the corrosion protection of zinc. Available in both exposed and unexposed quality.
- Hot Dip Galvannealed ZINCGRIP GA steel products are continuously coated on both sides with zinc, then induction heated to alloy the zinc with the substrate, to create a zinc-iron alloy coating.
- Advanced High Strength Steels (AHSS) are now being produced, such as the NEXMET® family of products using innovative alloy design and new process control technology.
Dearborn Works has earned IATF 16949, ISO-9001 and Ford Q1 certification. The facility completed a large-scale modernization campaign in 2007 and 2011. During the campaign, more than $1.2 billion was invested in new state-of-the-art equipment and various operational improvements. Some of the major upgrades at Dearborn Works include a new blast furnace, a new five-stand, six-high, 72" tandem coil mill linked to a pickle line and a new exposed hot-dipped galvanizing line focused on automotive and other original equipment manufacturer (OEM) needs. In 2016, a multi million dollar investment was made to the hot-dipped galvanized line to produce AHSS, including our NEXMET® family of steels.